Instructions for Well Disinfection
If your water sample showed bacteriological contamination, DO NOT DRINK THIS WATER. IT MUST BE BOILED FOR 10 MINUTES BEFORE USING FOR DRINKING OR IN FOOD PREPARATION.
Follow the directions below for disinfecting the well and pipes. Recollect your sample into a sterile bottle provided by Avocet and return to the lab within 24 hours of collection.
- Use one gallon of fresh household bleach (no perfumes: i.e. “lemon scent,” etc.) that contains sodium hypochlorite. WARNING: There are new household bleaches on the market that do not contain any sodium hypochlorite.
Read labels carefully and look for bleach that contains sodium hypochlorite as an ingredient.
- Mix the bleach in 5 to 10 gallons of clear water. Pour half of it directly into the well. If possible, pour the remainder in so that the sides of the casing are washed down. To fully distribute the bleached water in the well, run a garden hose down the well and let it run for 5-10 minutes. This will circulate the bleached water from the well, through the hose and back to the well again.
- After the bleach is added, turn on the taps in the house until the odor or taste of chlorine can be detected, then turn off taps. Do the same for all other taps and faucets in the house. If you have a treatment system on your water, you may need to by-pass the treatment unit so that it is not damaged by the bleach.
- Allow the bleach water to remain in the well and pipes at least overnight, 24 hours if possible. Turn on the outside taps until the smell of chlorine is no longer detected; then do the same with taps inside the house.
- After about one week of use, submit another sample for analysis.